Over the past few decades, the cost of living has skyrocketed throughout the country while wages have stagnated. More Canadians are finding it harder to make ends meet at the end of every month and struggle to pay for necessities such as rent, childcare, and healthy food for their families. To combat this, the government has implemented the Canada Workers Benefit (CWB), a tax benefit designed to put more money in the pockets of low-income workers. 

What is the Canada Workers Benefit (CWB)?

Formerly known as the Working Income Tax Benefit, the Canada Workers Benefit is a refundable tax credit that provides financial support for low-income workers and their families. The CWB also includes a disability supplement for eligible Canadians.

How much can I receive from the CWB and CWB Disability Supplement?


Maximum Yearly Amount

(Excludes Alberta, Nunavut, and Quebec) 

Amount Gradually Reduces When Net Income Is Over

No Payment When Net Income Exceeds


$1,355 (Single Individuals)

$2,335 (Families)

$12,820 (Single Individuals)

$17,025 (Families)

$24,111 (Single Individuals)

$36,483 (Families)

CWB Disability Supplement

$700 (Single Individuals and Families)

$24,111 (Single Individuals)

$36,483 (Families)

$29,944 (Single Individuals)

$42,316 (Families)

The amount of your CWB payments depend on your province of residence, marital status, working income, net income, eligible dependents, and eligibility for the disability supplement. 

Please note that maximum amounts and net income levels are different if you live in Alberta, Nunavut, and Quebec. Check out the government’s calculation sheets and the child and family benefits calculator to find out exactly how much you’re eligible for. 

Who qualifies for the Canada Workers Benefit?

To qualify for CWB, you must be:

  • a Canadian resident
  • 19 years of age or older on December 31 – If you’re under the age of 19, you can still qualify if you have a spouse or common-law partner, or an eligible dependant.

You cannot claim CWB if you are:

  • a full-time student for more than 13 weeks in the year
  • in prison for 90 days or more during the year
  • not required to pay tax in Canada

To qualify for the CWD Disability Supplement, you must:

  • have an approved Disability Tax Credit Certificate (Form T2201) on file with the CRA
  • have working income over $1,150
  • be eligible for the Canada Workers Benefit

How do I apply for the Canada Workers Benefit?

You can apply for the CWB in three easy steps:

  1. When it’s tax time, fill out Schedule 6 (Canada Workers Benefit) – this can be done using free certified tax software. Complete step 3 in Schedule 6 if you want to apply for the disability supplement. 
  2. Take the amount from line 42 of Schedule 6 and enter it on line 45300 of your income tax and benefit return.
  3. File your return to the CRA. Be sure to include your completed Schedule 6 forms if you’re mailing it in.

Can I request advance CWB payments?

The CRA can give you up to 50% of your benefit as an advance payment. Advance payments can be received during the first week of April, July, October, and January. There are two ways to request advance payment:

  • Log into your CRA account and complete the Canada Workers Benefit advance payments application.
  • Fill out the Canada Workers Benefit payments application (Form RC201) and then mail it to the Sudbury Tax Centre. Remember to complete Part 3 of the form if you want to apply for the disability supplement. The form needs to be in by August 31 and you only need to send one application if you and your spouse or common-law partner are both eligible for the CWB.

Can I get a loan while receiving the Canada Workers Benefit?

The CWB can actually increase your chances of getting a loan as lenders see the benefit as income. Take a look at this article for more information on loan options and how to get a CWB loan from a lender you can trust.

Related articles